Economic Development and Global Integration: Perspectives from Vietnam



Globalization, Governance, and Security in Southeast Asia: Perspectives from Malaysia

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Malaysia Malaysia oh how I'll miss you

Looking back at the 3 week seminar here in Malaysia, I can sum it up with one word. AMAZING

With the Professors expansive knowledge concerning Malaysia and ASEAN, we were able to truly learn about this country and the politics playing into daily life.

The day at Parliament stands out in my mind. We met high ranking officials from each political party who were able to give us their version of what is going on in the government. It was very interesting to hear all different perspectives. I won't go into detail in hopes that you come to the program next year and find out for yourselves!

The city is an architectural wonder to me, as it is a fairly new city being a developmental state. Also, it is great the Mahathir was an authoritarian who had a love for architecture. The bridges in the area where are the ministries of the government are built are very unique. When you fly in to the city you can see 5 bridges close to each other each with their own unique modern style. Also the Petronas towers are just simply awesome.

I am surprised at how Western this city feels with shopping malls carrying brands like Forever 21, or Gucci. However, the food here makes me realize we are not in the West. That's because the spices here are delicious in every Indian dish they serve or in the Chinese food the things they do with tofu are wonderful. I think the food in Malaysia can only make people happy because it tastes so wonderful!

I will be sad to leave this country but can honestly say I hope to return and see how the country progresses and how as a regional player in ASEAN they develop.
-Sarah-

No comments:

Post a Comment